Summer reading is somewhat of a cult thing in the United States. We love to stretch out in the sun with a great book! There is nothing wrong with that and it probably helps you to unwind from the day-to-day stresses of running your ecommerce website. However, your business will be better if you can take a break from the novels and light reading to fit in one of these books.
- The Accidental Entrepreneur: The 50 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Starting a Business. An instant classic in the business world, this book is easy to read and covers subjects such as business plans and marketing. It is a great ‘primer’ for the new ecommerce website owner or for anyone thinking about opening a business.
- Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business. That is one long title, but it says it all! If your content is less than compelling, it can be a huge marketing killer. This book will help you to infuse your ecommerce website with the ‘pop’ of professional content.
- The New Rules of Retail: Competing in the World’s Toughest Marketplace. As you well know, ecommerce is an extreme sport, with every man for himself. You need to know how to survive and thrive in this ever more competitive field. This book gives a rather frightening look at how cut-throat the ecommerce world is becoming and also ways of coming out on top.
- The New Science of Retailing. Ecommerce website management is indeed a science, complete with pages of baffling data and tables full of numbers and trends. If you are often unsure of what to do with your statistics, this is the book to buy. Two experts explain how to use your website data to increase sales and profit, which is ultimately the goal.
- E-Life After the Dot-Com Bust. Remember the dot com bust of 2000? It changed the way ecommerce websites are created and funded. It is possibly the most important historical event in our line of work, so it is important that you know about both the factors leading up to it and the aftermath. The dot com crisis is one of the top reasons that many people are afraid to open ecommerce websites, but even the brave need to understand it so you can avoid the next internet tragedy.
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs, News Releases, Online Video, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly. This is another looooong title that says it all. Even if you consider yourself an expert in the field of free and low cost marketing, there is always room for learning. This book is the definitive work in the area.
- Ecommerce for Dummies. We have yet to be disappointed by a Dummies book. Even the geniuses among you will appreciate this light, well-organized and often humorous look at the ecommerce world. You’ll find a wide range of topics from basics to expert knowledge.
By Mash Bonigala
A Brand Identity Designer, Film Maker, Traveller, Entrepreneur and Dedicated Family guy. I love branding, online business websites and small business challenges. My Google+ Profile